Steps required to unveil and follow your dream career......conduct a SWOT-analysis. ...integrate self- & career knowledge. 1 = DECIDE on a future career path! ...compile a job demarcation strategy. 2 = PREPARE and create a professional network! ...manage education & training priorities. ...prospect & mine professional opportunities. ...launch a job search campaign. 3 = EXCEL professionally! ...secure a job & mount specialized knowledge. ...accommodate requirements & challenges. ...tweak & sustain a responsible CPD-strategy!
The survey results (click image to enlarge) are extrapolated from a number of surveys frequently conducted by NACE (an American non-profit organization acting as an online. Although the survey results are dominated by an American workplace )context, there is a significant international component present, which makes it fairly representative of general trends that employers currently tends to require from employees in a modern place of work.
When the following list of self-actualization aspects are taken into account – when preparing for an existing and/or future place of work – it would be an excellent point of departure, which could provide you with a competitive edge when applying for a job in agreement with your chosen career path…
- Leadership: Leverage your own and the strengths of others to obtain common objectives and achieve the same goals by means of interpersonal skills to coach for and develop productive cooperation. The capability to assess and manage own emotions and feelings, and understanding those of others. Making use of compassion and empathetic skills to guide, motivate, organize, prioritize and delegate tasks.
- Collaborations & working in teams: Building of collaborative interactions and relationships with colleagues, customers and clients representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, ideas and points of view. Therefore a skill to work with others within a team context and the ability to negotiate and manage conflicts to encourage a harmonious environmental fit.
- Written & verbal communications: The skill to articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and verbal formats to persons inside and outside of the organization. Thus, basic public speaking skills, the ability to clearly express ideas to others and the competency to write, edit and proofread emails, memos, letters and complex technical reports clearly and efficiently.
- Critical thinking, troubleshooting & problem solving: Exercising sound reasoning to analyze issues, reach conclusions and take decisions to troubleshoot, deal with and solve problems. A proficiency to explore, research, collect, process, interpret and systematically apply knowledge, facts and data which demonstrate creativity, originality and inventiveness.
- Digital technology: Leveraging existing digital technologies productively, ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks and obtaining short term objectives and eventually achieve long term goals. Demonstrating an adaptability to new and emerging modern day technologies.
- Professionalism & sound work ethics: Demonstrate the acceptance of personal responsibility, group accountability and dynamic working habits such as – for example – punctuality, working harmoniously with others, workload time management and understanding the impact of non-verbal communication for a trustworthy professional reputation. Thus, expressing integrity and ethical behavior, acting responsibly with the interests of the larger community in mind, and the ability to learn from mistakes made.
- Career management: Identify and articulate one’s skills, strengths, knowledge and experiences relevant to the position desired and personal career goals. To consistently determine and identify areas necessary for personal and professional growth. Being able to navigate and explore different job options, understands and know-how to take the steps necessary to pursue workplace opportunities and competency to strategically self-advocate for opportunities in a place of work.
- Global & inter-cultural fluency: Value, respect and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations and religions. This demonstrates tolerance, openness, inclusiveness, sensitivity, and the ability to interact respectfully with all people and understanding the contributing value of individual differences.
Career Center service – on the one hand – subtly reinforce the principle of ‘Individual responsibility within the parameters of group accountability‘ which is an important foundation for a selected life and career path of development & growth. While, simultaneously – on the other hand – a life and career path of derailments & stagnation is subtly weakened by purposefully addressing and gradually phase out the destructive, toxic impact and negative influences of halting reactions which often is the result of future shock confrontations and accompanied psyche wounds.